Re: Print advertising (search terms)

From: Mike Ellsworth <nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Print advertising (search terms)
Date: 2005-12-02 18:15:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

I thought I would pick up this thread again. A couple of weeks ago,
Robert Bernier offered to pick up a bit of advertising for keyword
search for PostgreSQL on his own budget.

I picked at the Overture (now Yahoo) Keyword Selector tool:

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

for a couple of hours yesterday and believe I have a basic strategy:

1) It would be a bad idea to get into a search term bidding war on
Robert's dime
2) For any term selected, should show up in the Top 8 --- otherwise end
up on a 2nd page and rarely viewed.
3) Using derivatives or complementary technology may produce low
costs/high return results.

As an example, a search for:

open office

yields
112456 open office security issue
25960 open office
1784 open office download
710 open office software
410 free open office
391 microsoft to open office
321 open source office
etc

search
openeoffice

yields

16494 openoffice
2286 openoffice download
1005 openoffice 2.0
557 the openoffice org
551 openoffice software
etc

Off the top of my head possible ad:
"Did you know that you can use PostgreSQL to securely store your Open
Office documents?
bla bla bla. " Then a link to a very brief tutorial on the pg site.

The same basic idea can be used for many other features:
ADODB = 632

""Did you know that ..."

procedure stored = 1289

and so on. All of which would put an ad either at the top or very near
the top - affordably. There must be content relative to the search
term. In the case of "adodb" or "procedure stored" (as examples), it
already exists. For Open Office, a bit of something would need to be
created.

I will spend some time pecking away, but only if there is a level of
concensus that the basic concept above would be helpful. If so, I will
peck --- then send to Robert (he's the money man), who can edit and post
to the list.

Thanks,
Mike

btw: As an aside - "partnering" (reciprocal links at the mimimum) with
Open Office (or others) may prove quite fruitful. But that's probably a
task for Steering guys.

More traffic---> more developers---> more ad revenue---> ensuing
development, etc.
Everyone benefits.