Re: Fw: Feature requests

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "A(dot)j(dot) Langereis" <a(dot)j(dot)langereis(at)inter(dot)nl(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: Feature requests
Date: 2005-11-18 10:38:27
Lists: pgadmin-support

A.j. Langereis wrote:

> Nevertheless I ran into a "bug", or maybe better: a feature-request.
> When one is creating a new foreign key via the tool, it is not possible
> to select "no action" for either "on update" or "on delete". This is a
> pitty, because "restrict", which is almost the same, doesn't allow
> constraints to be deferrable. In order to solve this, the constraints
> have to be made via the query tool.

Obviously pgsql has changed unnoticed from us since this was implemented
in pgAdmin back in 7.3 times. We'll add this.

> Another request would be to able to "change" foreign key properties
> (like Deferrable, Deferred, On Update, etc..). When applying the changes
> pgAdmin would than drop the foreign key and recreate it with the new
> settings. To garanty consistency the table could be locked exclusively.

This isn't by far as easy as it sounds, because OID will change.

> A final request would be to have "mouseover hints". This would really
> benefit new user (and experienced ones with new features)!

And show what? We do have mouse over on the toolbar, IMNSHO anything
more would be annoing. People not knowing what the program does are good
advised to RTFM, it won't bite.

Regards,
Andreas