Re: autovacuum deamon on 8.0.3 - WinXP

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)tocr(dot)com>
To: Florian Ledoux <florian(dot)ledoux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum deamon on 8.0.3 - WinXP
Date: 2005-10-17 17:02:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Florian Ledoux wrote:
> An autovacuum deamon has been installed as a Windows service during
> the setup of my PG 8.0.3 server on WinXP. I am surprised because I
> believed that autovacuum was only available in 8.1 server. There is
> no autovacuum_XXX parameters in postgresql.conf... How can I be sure
> that autovacuum is correctly working ? If it is the case, how is it
> configured ?
> Can I rely on this service or have I to periodicaly launch vacuumdb instead ?
>
> Can anybody help me...

In Postgresql 7.4 and 8.0 there was a contrib version of autovacuum,
which is the reason it gets installed as a separate service, and also
the reason there are no options for it in the postgresql.conf file. The
Windows installer installs this contrib version by default and most
people find it to be helpful.

Starting with 8.1, autovacuum has be reworked and integrated into the
backend, so it will no longer show up as a separate service, and there
will be options in the Postgresql.conf file.

Did that help?

Matt