Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>, "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-17 14:07:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/16/2005 12:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> writes:
>> Actually, perhaps an even more restricted version would be better.
>> Lowercase quoted identifiers only if they are all uppercase. So then:
>
> No, I think the original proposal was better. This one doesn't fix
> things for the lusers who think "MixedCase" and unquoted MixedCase
> should be the same.

What is bad about leaving pg_catalog all lower case and expect everyone
to query the catalog quoted? We would be totally free as to the
flexibility of the new option. One setting could even act 100% according
to the standard ... a feature I'm missing so far in all the proposals.

Jan

>> Note to implementor: In 'SELECT 1 as "Title"', the quoted string should
>> not be lowercased, even if you are lowercasing everything else...
>
> You don't get to have that, I think, because the lexer is not context
> aware. It's not clear to me why it's a good idea anyway.
>
> regards, tom lane

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #