Re: Oracle buys Innobase

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-17 13:58:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> I think Oracle will buy MySQL too eventually
>
> No, MySQL AB is a private company and would probably never
> sell to Oracle.
>
>> They started with InnoDB because that is likely to lower the
>> price tag of MySQL
>
> You seem to misunderstand the power and wealth of Oracle. The cost of
> buying MySQL AB would be insignificant to them.

Not only that, "potentially crippling" MySQL by pulling InnoDB out from
under them would not only reduce MySQL's worth, but also has a massive
potential of reducing their marketshare, long term.

Until MySQL has to re-negotiate their contract with Inno^H^H^H^HOracle,
its all speculation though ... don't know when that comes due, but their
might be enough time between now and then for MySQL to recover on their
own (ie. come up with an alternative to InnoDB) ...

----