Re: Extraordinarily slow!!

From: Peter Fein <pfein(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Justin R(dot) Smith" <jsmith(at)drexel(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extraordinarily slow!!
Date: 2005-09-24 17:36:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Don't use Gentoo? Seriously, that distribution is completely
> unsupportable because no one else has the faintest idea what you are
> really running. You've probably got some system component that is
> either broken in itself or incompatible with some other component,
> but there's no way to tell which.

I'm not looking to start a distro war, but we're successfully running
postgres on Gentoo on a handful of machines, both Intel and AMD, without
trouble. I suppose compiling by hand from source is equally
unsupportable.

As for not knowing what's running, it's fairly trivial to deduce the
compile time options based on USE flags. Heck, you've even got full
compile/install logs if you want them...

Just saying. ;)

--
Peter Fein pfein(at)pobox(dot)com 773-575-0694

Basically, if you're not a utopianist, you're a schmuck. -J. Feldman