Re: Extraordinarily slow!!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Justin R(dot) Smith" <jsmith(at)drexel(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extraordinarily slow!!
Date: 2005-09-24 16:55:36
Lists: pgsql-general

"Justin R. Smith" <jsmith(at)drexel(dot)edu> writes:
> I'm running postgresql 8.03 under Gentoo Linux and find that all actions
> take at least a MINUTE (even dropdb and createdb). During this time, the
> posgres account is locked up to the extent that one cannot even su to
> it. (The su suceeds when the db operation completes.)

Bizarre.

> Any suggestions?

Don't use Gentoo? Seriously, that distribution is completely
unsupportable because no one else has the faintest idea what you are
really running. You've probably got some system component that is
either broken in itself or incompatible with some other component,
but there's no way to tell which.