Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?
Date: 2022-07-25 01:14:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Answers in-line:

On 7/24/22 20:43, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> Other parts of Office also use database connectivity such   as Access
> or Word.
>
>>> Also, I find variety in the odbc driver.
>>
>> I don't. ODBC drivers implement the same protocol when communicating
>> with the database and they all work the same. Here is what I have:
>
> Hmm, I wonder why they have versions then?

Good question. One part of the story are package versions, bug fixes and
such. However, I think that your question was about the versions of the
ODBC protocol. This may answer it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

Version history

Version history:^[22]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-22>

* 1.0: released in September 1992^[23]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-23>
* 2.0: c. 1994
* 2.5
* 3.0: c. 1995, John Goodson of Intersolv and Frank Pellow and Paul
Cotton of IBM provided significant input to ODBC 3.0^[24]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-24>
* 3.5: c. 1997
* 3.8: c. 2009, with Windows 7^[25]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-What's_New_in_ODBC_3.8-25>

* 4.0: Development announced June 2016^[26]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-MSDA_blog_2016-06-07-26>
with first implementation with SQL Server 2017 released Sep 2017 and
additional desktop drivers late 2018 ^[27]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity#cite_note-27>
final spec on Github <https://github.com/Microsoft/ODBC-Specification>

By the way, version 4 of the protocol supports "fast_executemany":

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com/2020/11/21/pyodbc-fast_executemany-and-oracle-rdbms/

MS SQL ODBC 1.7 and Oracle Instant Client 19.9 ODBC drivers and newer do
support "fast_executemany". PostgreSQL ODBC 13 does not. Here is the table:

https://github.com/mkleehammer/pyodbc/wiki/fast_executemany-support-for-various-ODBC-drivers

> As to below, really?  If you don't want to answer the question then
> don't.

Boys just wanna have fun. This is a shameless plug of the famous Cindy
Lauper's song, but you get the picture, don't you? To my credit, I
didn't answer the 1st one. Tonight, I've been socializing with Sam
Adams, so I replied. When someone who doesn't know how to properly write
"O365" asks about "how suitable ODBC driver is", then I feel entitled to
little fun.

Now, since you don't appear to be a fan of my particular variety of
humor, can you possibly translate the question and explain to me what a
"suitable driver" is and what is M365? If you manage to prove to me that
the question makes sense, I will apologize to the OP and offer you a
pint of Sam Adams as an apology for my bad behavior. On the other hand,
if the question doesn't make sense, I will gladly accept the same from you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant