Re: Transactions and SavePoints

From: Marko Ristola <marko(dot)ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions and SavePoints
Date: 2005-08-31 16:30:09
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi

I tried to write SAVEPOINT SQL support into PsqlODBC in Summer.

I was able to implement some suport for savepoint creation, savepoint
rollback and savepoint RELEASE.

I didn't understand, how the query results should behave at savepoint
rollbacks.

You can find more information about my thoughts about savepoint
implementation on this list ealier this year, or with Google.

Main design issue was, that SAVEPOINT tracking must be implemented
into PSQLODBC.

That's what I implemented:
- Linked list of all defined savepoints.
- Maintain the list during SAVEPOINT maintenance functions.

Savepoint command parsing speed was 600000 commands per second,
that I wrote (UTF-8). With UCS-4 , without a state machine, it was
300000 commands per second. The subsystem's speed was okay.

I implemented a full PostgreSQL SQL SAVEPOINT support with
the Bison/Flex parser, because it is easy, but that part is
not at all easy to integrate into an existing PsqlODBC driver.

Are you interested in a patch for the mergeable part of the savepoint
support?

Regards,
Marko Ristola