Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE by default?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: _FORTIFY_SOURCE by default?
Date: 2012-09-16 04:41:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 appears to be the default for package building on many
> Linux distributions now, as part of harding or security options. But we
> often hear about problems related to this only when we hand the source
> over to the packagers. So I think we might as well add this to our
> standard compilation options, for example in src/include/port/linux.h.
> What do you think?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me to add platform-specific options
with unspecified effects to platform-independent upstream sources.

To the extent that this option finds anything useful (which in my
experience is a negligibly small percentage anyway), it's the
responsibility of the packagers (including me) to report it.