Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).
Date: 2005-07-30 13:46:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 02:43:23PM +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
>
>>no, this one seems to be fine now.
>>i have no idea what went wrong.
>>the code cored at some very "unlikely" place.
>

> Are you saying that it *did* dump core, or that it *didn't*? It's
> possible that your coredumpsize resource limit prevented a core
> dump from happening at all. If you're playing with the development
> code than it would be a good idea to set that limit so that you do
> get core dumps. Configuring with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert
> would also be useful, if you aren't doing so already.

it cored; my core-size settings are ok ...

>>somehow rebooting helped ... - this was very strange.
>>fortunately it works nicely now ...
>

> ...but unfortunate for finding out what was happening :-(

absolutely. however, it is a bit hard to find a bug which cannot be
reproduced ...
to me it seems as if something else was doing some sort of crap on this box.

> Had you stopped and restarted the postmaster before the reboot?

yes - I even did a make distclean and a recompile ...

> That is, was the reboot really necessary to "fix" the problem?

I rebooted for some other reasons ...

> Had you run "make install" while the postmaster was still running?
> I haven't tested whether that could cause a problem, but I wonder
> if that's possible.

To be honest; I don't have the slightest idea; I have never seen this
before and I have been able to reproduce that.
I don't have the slightest idea what happened. This seems like higher
power ...

Best regards,

Hans