Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug: core dump in pl/perl (cvs head).
Date: 2005-07-30 13:41:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 02:43:23PM +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> no, this one seems to be fine now.
> i have no idea what went wrong.
> the code cored at some very "unlikely" place.

Are you saying that it *did* dump core, or that it *didn't*? It's
possible that your coredumpsize resource limit prevented a core
dump from happening at all. If you're playing with the development
code than it would be a good idea to set that limit so that you do
get core dumps. Configuring with --enable-debug and --enable-cassert
would also be useful, if you aren't doing so already.

> somehow rebooting helped ... - this was very strange.
> fortunately it works nicely now ...

...but unfortunate for finding out what was happening :-(

Had you stopped and restarted the postmaster before the reboot?
That is, was the reboot really necessary to "fix" the problem?
Had you run "make install" while the postmaster was still running?
I haven't tested whether that could cause a problem, but I wonder
if that's possible.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/