Re: COPY FROM performance improvements

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)surnet(dot)cl>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alon Goldshuv <agoldshuv(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY FROM performance improvements
Date: 2005-06-28 12:53:50
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

Luke, Alon

OK, I'm going to apply the patch to my copy and try to get my head
around it. meanwhile:

. we should not be describing things as "old" or "new". The person
reading the code might have no knowledge of the history, and should not
need to.
. we should not have "slow" and "fast" either. We should have "text",
"csv" and "binary".

IOW, the patch comments look slightly like it is intended for after the
fact application rather than incorporation into the main code.

Are you looking at putting CSV mode into the fast code? Please let me
know if you have questions about that. There are only a few days left to
whip this into shape.

cheers

andrew