Re: soundex and metaphone

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: soundex and metaphone
Date: 2005-05-27 06:53:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> I'm willing to move soundex and metaphone into the backend.
> Does anyone see a reason not to do so?

As a kinda strange reason, I like them in contrib because
they demonstrate a nice simple example of how one can write a
contrib extension.

This module has simple functions that take a string or
two and return a string or number. Most of the other
contrib modules do tricky stuff with weird types or
indexes that make them rather complex to use as
a starting point.

If they were to be moved out of contrib, I think it'd be
really nice if someone add a "hello_world" contrib that
demonstrates a bunch of simple operations in C to be used
as such a model.