Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ying Lu <ying_lu(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-05-11 14:14:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:
> Performance?

I'll run some benchmarks tomorrow, as it's rather late in my time zone.
If anyone wants to post some benchmark results, they are welcome to.

> I disagree completely with the idea of forcing this behavior for all
> datatypes. It could only be sensible for fairly wide values; you don't
> save enough to justify the lossiness otherwise.

I think it would be premature to decide about this before we see some
performance numbers. I'm not fundamentally opposed, though.

> [ BTW, posting patches to pgsql-general seems pretty off-topic. ]

Not any more than discussing implementation details is :) But your point
is well taken, I'll send future patches to -patches.

-Neil