Re: mysql/posgresql pooling

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: Nico <nicohmail-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql/posgresql pooling
Date: 2005-05-03 17:13:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Nico,

Nico wrote:
> Hi, I run a servlet that runs on a Resin 3.0.2-webserver with MySQL and
> PostgreSQL database server.
> Operating system is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4).
> Resin uses its own pooling mechanism. I can make normal connections through
> both MySQL and PostgreSQL. However, when I try to get a connection from a
> pool, only MySQL connections are returned. How do I tell my servlet it needs
> a PostgreSQL connection instead of MySQL?

How do you communicate with the pool? I do not know anything about the
Resin interfaces, but in jboss, you use jndi to look up your datasources
by a datasource name, and have *-ds.xml files that define the
datasources (map name to driver class, host name, port, username and
other connection properties).

To get a PostgreSQL connection, you need do deploy the appropriate
definition in one of your *-ds.xml files, and then use this name when
looking up your datasource.

You do this along the lines of:

import java.sql.Connection;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.sql.DataSource;

public class example {
public static Connection getConnection(String name) throws Exception {
DataSource dataSource = (DataSource) ic.lookup(name);
return dataSource.getConnection();
}
}

HTH,