Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 04:06:51
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> Well, GPL is certainly a minus for a lot of PostgreSQL folks. The
> current ODBC driver is LGPL and that seems OK, though not ideal. Seems
> we will have to live with two drivers, one GPL and one LGPL.

We are taking a very similar road as TrollTech with QT on this
particular project. We want to deliver the highest quality driver
possible which means we need to insure a revenue stream from those who
would need to use ODBC in a closed sourced environment.

The driver is still Open Source and still free to those who will be
using or creating software that is GPL compatible.

> When you say "commercial licenses", I assume you just mean commercial
> support, not non-GPL versions, because if you do that,

I do mean non-GPL versions and commercial support. However there isn't
any real commercial support with ODBC. If you correctly code the driver
it will work without the need for support except in the very rare
circumstances.

> you can't take
> contributions from anyone (unless you want them to sign ownership over

This is something that we are still trying to figure out.

> to CP) and you might as well yank it off pgfoundry.

Are you forgetting community mailing lists? Community documentation?
Community discussion of API? Bug reporting? Community support? All the
things that make pgfoundry and the PostgreSQL community great?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting