Re: Official ODBC announcement

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Official ODBC announcement
Date: 2005-04-28 03:53:33
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Support SSL Connections
>
> Support Compressed connections (Mammoth only at this time)
>
> Support Large Objects
>
> Support Bytea
>
> The driver will be released as GPL with commercial licenses available
> from Command Prompt, Inc.

Well, GPL is certainly a minus for a lot of PostgreSQL folks. The
current ODBC driver is LGPL and that seems OK, though not ideal. Seems
we will have to live with two drivers, one GPL and one LGPL.

When you say "commercial licenses", I assume you just mean commercial
support, not non-GPL versions, because if you do that, you can't take
contributions from anyone (unless you want them to sign ownership over
to CP) and you might as well yank it off pgfoundry.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us