Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: "'Jim C(dot) Nasby'" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "'Alvaro Herrera'" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, "'Andreas Pflug'" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, ac(at)wazagua(dot)com, wheyliger(at)wazagua(dot)com, "'Steve Hatt'" <shatt(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Date: 2005-04-23 15:35:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I would very, very strongly encourage you to run multi-user tests before
> deciding on mysql. Mysql is nowhere near as capable when it comes to
> concurrent operations as PostgreSQL is. From what others have said, it
> doesn't take many concurrent operations for it to just fall over. I
> can't speak from experience because I avoid mysql like the plague,
> though. :)
>
> I am just testing the water so to speak, if it cant handle single user tests
> then multiple user tests are kind of a waste of time.

Joel I think you are missing the point on the above comment. The above
comment as I read is, o.k. you are having problems with PostgreSQL BUT
MySQL isn't going to help you and you will see that in multi-user tests.

MySQL is known to work very well on small databases without a lot of
concurrent sessions. I don't think anybody here would argue that.

Where MySQL runs into trouble is larger databases with lots of
concurrent connections.

> I am a little disappointed I have not understood enough to get my analyzer
> to use the proper plan, we had to set seqscan off to get the select from
> response_line to work fast and I had to turn off merge joins to get assoc
> list to work fast. Once I am up I can try to learn more about it, I am so
> glad there are so many folks here willing to take time to educate us newb's.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.