Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 01 2005 ==

From: Peter Childs <blue(dot)dragon(at)blueyonder(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 01 2005 ==
Date: 2005-04-01 20:00:15
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

David Fetter wrote:

>== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 01 2005 ==
>
>As of today, the license of PostgreSQL, including all its libraries,
>is changing from the unfashionable BSD license to the more popular
>GPL.

Fine I can't see the difference, but have you not got to clear this
with every developer past and present to get it through.

>Tom Lane has accepted a job at MySQL AB. He announced his departure
>rather abruptly on the Hackers list yesterday:
>

>>So long, suckers!

I wonder why?

>With the change in leadership, core team members will implement
>changes to the project. One which has picked up a lot of enthusiasm
>is migrating the PostgreSQL code base away from C. Bruce Momjian
>explains, "C has served us pretty well for 20 years. But we think
>it's time to move to a more modern, and let's face it, more popular
>programming language. With the JVM testing, and the performance
>degradation, and retraining, we probably won't do any development for
>2 years, but we figure it's worth a try."

Ok the reason, If you think you can write a database that runs
faster than a snail in Java, you need to re-think. Tom obvouly knows
this and when to jump ship. Perl or Python would be faster!!! (And I
know I've worked in them and know the only thing slower than Java is
good old paper and pencil.)

>PWN notes that the migration to Java will affect only the query
>analyzer, executor, and storage engine. The client tools will be
>re-written in COBOL.

Could that sentance please be reversed I could understand the client
tools being written in Java (just about) Cobol can more than cope with a
database, its older than C,

>A new language translation set of .po files for into 1337. w3lc0m3 t0
>t|-|3 n3\/\/ /\/\3/\/\|3rz 0f teh c0mm|_|n1t'/!!1!!

Either this message is a joke, Or you have all gone mad?
I see a postpostgres on the horizon.

Peter Childs