Re: setFetchSize question

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Dave Smith <dave(dot)smith(at)candata(dot)com>
Cc: Alan Stange <stange(at)rentec(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setFetchSize question
Date: 2005-02-25 20:42:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Smith wrote:
> Funny, I'm trying to do the same thing. I think the problem is that V3
> protocol (bind/execute) , Postgresql does not log the portal command
> just the SQL statement. I'm busy trying to find the link in the archives
> to this problem ..

Yeah, V3 introduces some logging issues. Only the initial Parse is
logged, but a) just because we ran a Parse doesn't actually mean the
query has been run and b) a single Parse might be followed by multiple
Bind/Execute pairs that actually run the query multiple times (and those
Bind/Executes might happen hours after the Parse!). So statement logging
no longer gives you a good idea of what queries are being executed.

Fixing this on the server side is on my todo list but not too high at
the moment.

The portal-execution thing is similar -- for a single query execution,
there might be multiple Executes sent for the same portal (with a
max-rows limit in place). That's less of a logging issue since it's
logically the same query running across all of those Executes, we're
just asking for the results one bit at a time.

-O