Re: Function return number of affected rows

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function return number of affected rows
Date: 2005-02-14 00:42:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
| "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
|
|>But if I create a function like:
|

|>create function inserttest() returns void as ' insert into table1
|>values(1, 1)' language 'sql';
|

|>and I do a select * from inserttest();
|

|>I can't get the CompletedResponse saying one row was affected :(
|

| Why should you? What you executed was a SELECT. What the function does
| internally is no business of yours.

Hi Tom.

Ok. That was what I thougth too. But I just wanted to be sure I wasn't
missing anything.

| You could define the function as returning the information you would
| like to have the client app know. I don't think there is any way to get
| at the rowcount in a SQL-language function, but most of the PL languages
| have a mechanism for it, e.g. GET DIAGNOSTICS integer_var = ROW_COUNT;
| in plpgsql.

Yeap, that was one of the answers I got. I thought there could be some
other way without modifying the function.

I was asking that because I received a lot of requests of being able to
get the number of rows affected by an executing function. And so I came
here because I didn't see anything in protocol which could be used.

Thanks for feedback Tom.

- --
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Membro Fundador do Projeto MonoBrasil - MonoBrasil Project Founder Member
http://monobrasil.softwarelivre.org

"Science without religion is lame;
religion without science is blind."

~ ~ Albert Einstein