Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date: 2005-01-12 11:34:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> trademark). My suggestion, whether you accept it or not, is to
>>> formally resolve this before the next guy that is trying to be on
>>> the right side of the community and the law shows up.
>>

>> I think this is an excellent suggestion. (And by the way, your
>> public interest in PostgreSQL is welcomed, at least by me.)
>

> Just FYI, I would be surprised if at this point the trademark was
> enforceable on any level. IANAL but the trademark hasn't been enforced
> once as far as I know since it was created...

I'm assuming the TM is only in the USA anyway. Registering an
EU-wide/international trademark seems quite involved.
http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/
http://www.wipo.int/madrid/en/index.html

> But I would agree that there definately needs to be some level of
> statement for the use of the trademark.

Having an "official" statement or body to approach would at least let
those who want to play reasonably know that they're doing the right thing.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd