Re: TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item: make world safe for spaces in build/install
Date: 2005-01-02 18:56:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:

>Along similar lines, when I installed RC1 on a windows box it installed it
>under the "program files" directory. Now, this was fine for most cases, but
>when I had to use some of the command line tools it was really crappy trying
>to write explicit directories under dos. I generally chalk that up to windows
>being a crappy os to work with from the command line, but I wonder if the
>installer ought to be more suggestive to use something like c:\postgresql\ or
>at least warn user not to install in directories with spaces.

Well, that's not really along similar lines, except that it also
concerns the issue of spaces in directories.

Actually, the standard Windows place to put software is Program Files,
and programs that don't do that are considered somewhat impolite. The
short answer really is "put the directories in your path". Windows users
generally understand this quite well. Maybe the installer should offer
to add the location to the System path or the user's path (assuming it
doesn't already).

cheers

andrew