Re: starting the database server

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Nefnifi, Kasem" <Kasem(dot)Nefnifi(at)atosorigin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: starting the database server
Date: 2004-11-30 17:13:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Nefnifi, Kasem wrote:
> Hello,
>
> but it has worked fine since the installation without any error until
> now and nothing has been changed in the system policy. how it can
> something like this happened.

Something must have changed. If it's not your installation of PostgreSQL
then it's something in the authentication system.

> now the concrete solution, I've to follow the solution proposed in
> the log file. which user should I use to start the database, if I
> take an only normal user, get the message error that I don't
> permissions, as administrator PostgreSql don't let me start the
> database. strange, because in all databases you've to be
> administrator to do something like except Postgresql.

Keep the PostgreSQL user the same, but trace its group membership and
check file permissions.

The reason PosgreSQL refuses to run as an administrator is that to do so
opens a security hole. Other databases open that hole and you can read
about the hacks on the security lists.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd