Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date: 2023-01-09 20:18:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:
> On 09.01.2023 at 03:38, vignesh C wrote:
>> There are couple of commitfest entries for this:
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/41/4041/
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/41/4042/ Can one of them be closed?

> I've split the initial patch into two parts upon Álvaro's request in [1]
> so that we can discuss them separately

It's not great to have multiple CF entries pointing at the same email
thread --- it confuses both people and bots. Next time please split
off a thread for each distinct patch.

I pushed the ID-addition patch, with a few fixes:

* AFAIK our practice is to use "-" never "_" in XML ID attributes.
You weren't very consistent about that even within this patch, and
the overall effect would have been to have no standard about that
at all, which doesn't seem great. I changed them all to "-".

* I got rid of a couple of "-et-al" additions, because it did not
seem like a good precedent. That would tempt people to modify
existing ID tags when adding variables to an entry, which'd defeat
the purpose I think.

* I fixed a couple of things that looked like typos or unnecessary
inconsistencies. I have to admit that my eyes glazed over after
awhile, so there might be remaining infelicities.

It's probably going to be necessary to have follow-on patches,
because I'm sure there is stuff in the pipeline that adds more
ID-less tags. Or do we have a way to create warnings about that?

I'm unqualified to review CSS stuff, so you'll need to get somebody
else to review that patch. But I'd suggest reposting it, else
the cfbot is going to start whining that the patch-of-record in
this thread no longer applies.