Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OK, so culicidae is *still* broken
Date: 2017-04-15 21:34:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-04-15 17:24:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wonder whether we could work around that by just destroying the created
>> process and trying again if we get a collision. It'd be a tad
>> inefficient, but hopefully collisions wouldn't happen often enough to be a
>> big problem.

> That might work, although it's obviously not pretty. We could also just
> default to some out-of-the-way address for MapViewOfFileEx, that might
> also work.

Could be. Does Microsoft publish any documentation about the range of
addresses their ASLR uses?

Obviously, any such fix would be a lot more likely to be reliable in
64-bit machines. There's probably not enough daylight to be sure of
making it work in 32-bit Windows, so I suspect we'd need some retry
logic anyway for that case.