Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB
Date: 2004-10-25 17:15:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/25/2004 11:53 AM, nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se wrote:

> Hello
>
> Harrison Fisk from MySQL claims in this thread:
>
> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?35,3981,4245#msg-4245
>
> That there are no major differences between InnoDB and MVCC concurrency.
>
> Is this true?

From a functional point of view, the two appear to do the same thing.
The implementation is certainly different and has pros and cons into
both directions. The statement is absolutely accurate and also explains
why Postgres never had any sort of file structure repair tools. I would
even go further in that you don't want to repair any corrupted files, as
those repair operations might introduce breakage of referential
integrity of your data.

Jan

> Thank you.
>
> Tim