Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB
Date: 2004-10-25 18:42:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:15:33PM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 10/25/2004 11:53 AM, nd02tsk(at)student(dot)hig(dot)se wrote:
>
> >Is this true?
>
> From a functional point of view, the two appear to do the same thing.

Well, except for one difference. InnoDB will allow you refer to
tables not controlled by the InnoDB table handler, whereas we don't
have that problem with MVCC. So under MVCC, by definition, you can't
have partial transaction failures. (Or, more precisely, any such
partial failure is a bug in PostgreSQL, but in MySQL it might be a
feature.)

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland