Re: Database backup

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: sreejith s <getsreejith(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database backup
Date: 2004-10-18 16:39:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

sreejith s wrote:

>How to take Database backup from an application developed in Visual
>Basic thats running at Windows Client and Database resting at Linux
>Server. THanx

You wrote a similar question some days ago and mentioned that pg_dump
wouldn't work on Windows, so I figure you don't want to let the Linux
host computer make the backups but your Windows client.

You could go 2 ways.

1)
Install pg_dump on your Windows client.
Either as PostgreSQL on a CygWin environment or a Windows-native
PostgreSQL 7.5 or 8.0 installation.
Since you only need pg_dump you wouldn't configure a running PostgreSQL
so this should be pretty easy.

E.g. the Linux host's IP is 192.168.0.123. Then you can run on Windows :
pg_dump --host=192.168.0.123 -U your_username your_database >
your_database.sql

2)
Let the Linux server do the backup and transfer the resulting backup
file as soon as possible to your Windows client.
a) The server could push it through SAMBA, SCP or FTP.
b) The client could collect all backup files when it gets booted, if
the server puts the files in a SAMBA share that the client can mount as
network drive or access via FTP.

I'd propose you take the alternative 2) b).