Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date: 2017-09-04 16:56:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> ... Or maybe we should shorten this
> variable name so it doesn't force reformatting of all this text.
> Possible ideas include "DB_VERSION_NAME", "SERVER_VER_NAME", or
> "SERVER_VERSION_STR". (The last saves only one character, whereas
> we really need to save two if we're trying not to be wider than any
> other documented variable.)

Just had another idea: maybe make the new variable names

SERVER_VERSION_S
SERVER_VERSION_N
VERSION_S
VERSION_N

"_S" could usefully be read as either "string" or "short", and probably
we should document it as meaning "short". This way avoids creating any
weird inconsistencies with the existing precedent of the VERSION variable.