Re: more dirmod CYGWIN

From: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more dirmod CYGWIN
Date: 2004-10-09 11:34:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Tom Lane schrieb:

>>>FYI: If you drop it I will still provide cygwin packages. I just need it
>>>for testing and writing applications targetted to unix. With win32 this
>>>is not possible.
>

>>I see no reason _not_ to support Cygwin. Seems like a fine port to me.
>

> Cygwin is surely a lot less invasive than the native Windows port ;-)
>
> What you have to understand though is that it's now a bit marginalized.
> The bulk of the Windows usage is going to shift to the native port, so
> Cygwin support is going to be on the same level as AIX, or HPUX (my
> personal favorite), or several other platforms I could mention. That
> is, you gotta keep after the porting issues because not very many other
> people on pghackers will do it for you. Send in the patches and we'll
> use 'em, but don't expect that it will happen without your attention.
>
> I think the main issue right at the moment is that we probably have not
> sorted out where "WIN32" means "any Windows port" versus "native port
> only" versus "Cygwin only". You're on the spot to keep us honest here.

Thanks for clarification. Our cygwin community will appreciate it.

Esp. because we try to add all the mapping libs and software, which
depends on postgresql: mapserver, gdal, postgis, ...
And for most of them their only windows ports are cygwin based.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/