Re: more dirmod CYGWIN (was: APR 1.0 released)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more dirmod CYGWIN (was: APR 1.0 released)
Date: 2004-10-09 04:45:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

> Reini Urban wrote:
>>> Now that postgres 8.0 is win32 native is it still necessary support the
>>> cygwin ?
>>
>> FYI: If you drop it I will still provide cygwin packages. I just need it
>> for testing and writing applications targetted to unix. With win32 this
>> is not possible.

> I see no reason _not_ to support Cygwin. Seems like a fine port to me.

Cygwin is surely a lot less invasive than the native Windows port ;-)

What you have to understand though is that it's now a bit marginalized.
The bulk of the Windows usage is going to shift to the native port, so
Cygwin support is going to be on the same level as AIX, or HPUX (my
personal favorite), or several other platforms I could mention. That
is, you gotta keep after the porting issues because not very many other
people on pghackers will do it for you. Send in the patches and we'll
use 'em, but don't expect that it will happen without your attention.

I think the main issue right at the moment is that we probably have not
sorted out where "WIN32" means "any Windows port" versus "native port
only" versus "Cygwin only". You're on the spot to keep us honest here.