Re: porting a full Ms Sql Server to postgres

From: Shachar Shemesh <shachar(at)lingnu(dot)com>
To: pwbyrne(at)hotmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: porting a full Ms Sql Server to postgres
Date: 2004-09-27 06:53:16
Lists: pgsql-general

pwbyrne(at)hotmail(dot)com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for details, or tools about porting a full Ms Sql Server
>2000 database to Postgres on Linux.
>
>Is this possible? We have the whole nine yards, stored procedures,
>triggers, and all.
>
>Is there a way to automate this process?
>
>Thanks

Totally automate - no.

There are tools to help you along, however. They are not as complete as
I would like them, and I need lots of help in maintaining the site. It's
located at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/sql2pg/, but there are
currently no released files. In CVS, however, you will find a perl
script that translates the exported database description from MS SQL to
a more-or-less PG friendly format. Also you will find there support for
two data types - varcharci (case insensitive) and utinyint (1 byte
unsigned integer).

Any help with maintaining this project would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a few questions for you. What drivers do you currently use to
access your database? Do you use the stored procedure's ability to
return more than one result?

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh