Re: beta1 & beta2 & Windows & heavy load

From: Daniel Schuchardt <daniel_schuchardt(at)web(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: beta1 & beta2 & Windows & heavy load
Date: 2004-09-13 00:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane schrieb:

> Yeah, I ran into that earlier today while trying to reproduce your
> problem. It's fixed by this pending patch. I didn't see any freeze-up
> of the system after running out of lock memory, though. It seemed to
> release the locks just fine.

Yeah this error is away now.

Now i got the same behavoir as before. Notice that I'v never opened a
transaction in the following scenario. I'm unable to do anything with
this connection.

example:

C:\postgres\bin>psql TEST
Welcome to psql 8.0.0beta2, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

Warning: Console codepage (850) differs from windows codepage (1252)
8-bit characters will not work correctly. See PostgreSQL
documentation "Installation on Windows" for details.

TEST=# SELECT count(*) FROM art;
count
-------
13534
(1 row)
TEST=# UPDATE art SET ak_res=0 WHERE ak_nr='###';
UPDATE 0
TEST=# UPDATE art SET ak_res=0;
WARNING: out of shared memory
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "do_standard_mgc" line 2 at block variables
initialization
WARNING: StartAbortedSubTransaction while in START state
ERROR: out of shared memory
HINT: You may need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "do_standard_mgc" line 2 at block variables
initialization
TEST=# UPDATE art SET ak_res=0 WHERE ak_nr='###';
ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
TEST=# SELECT count(*) FROM art;
ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
transaction block
TEST=# ROLLBACK;
ROLLBACK
TEST=# SELECT count(*) FROM art;