Re: case insensitive search with greek characters

From: Giannis Vrentzos <gvre(at)gvre(dot)gr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: case insensitive search with greek characters
Date: 2004-08-16 05:51:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Giannis Vrentzos <gvre(at)NOSPAM(dot)gvre(dot)gr> writes:
>
>>... everything is fine. As you can see the problem is at char α .
>>I 'm using ENCODING = 'ISO_8859_7'. I also tried with unicode but no luck.
>

> upper/lower casing behavior depends on locale, not encoding (though you
> also need to be sure your encoding is what the selected locale expects).
> I suspect you initdb'd with the wrong locale environment settings.
> Check by doing
> show lc_ctype;
> show lc_collate;
> If it's not the right thing then you'll need to re-initdb :-(

The problem is not with upper-lower case but with one letter (α) and
(ά). I executed show lc_ctype and show lc_collate and postgres returned
'Greek_Greece.1253' and i cannot find an encode like this in postgres. I
also don't want to change the encoding every time i change the db server
machine.

Thanks for responding,
Gvre