Re: [SQL] how to cast localtimestamp to bigint???

From: Guy Fraser <guy(at)incentre(dot)net>
To: "Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)" <Pradeepkumar(dot)Pyatalo(at)honeywell(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] how to cast localtimestamp to bigint???
Date: 2004-08-13 14:44:33
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

You don't need to use a bigint, read the documentation on data types.

There are a number of different things you can use for a timestamp, here
are a few :

abstime
abstime with timezone
timestamp
timestamp with timezone

Then when you are inserting your data, you can use 'now' as the time.

Eg.
CREATE TABLE pointy_stuff (
PointId integer,
PointName varchar(50),
PointType integer,
CreateTime abstime
);

INSERT INTO pointy_stuff (
PointId,
PointName,
PointType,
CreateTime
) VALUES (
'12345',
'point1',
'1',
'now'
);

I believe abstime is the smallest timestamp, but I could be wrong.

To output the data as a bigint I believe you can use this.

SELECT
PointId,
PointName,
PointType,
date_part('epoch',CreateTime) as unix_ts
FROM
pointy_stuff
;

Hope that helps.