Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available

From: Aleksander Kmetec <aleksander(dot)kmetec(at)intera(dot)si>
To: Johan Paul Glutting <jpglutting(at)vqp(dot)udl(dot)es>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pginstaller-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 PostgreSQL 8.0 Beta 1 Installer available
Date: 2004-08-10 09:11:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

Johan Paul Glutting wrote:
> When removing the service by hand using previous versions of Postgres,
> the service was not removed from the Services panel until I rebooted.
> This might be what is going on (WinXP here, though).

Yes; rebooting seems to take care of it.

Did you try reinstalling PG without rebooting?
On my machine it fails - unless I specify a different service ID.

It took me a couple of installs to figure out that just changing the
sevice NAME doesn't work, in which case everything runs fine until right
after cluster creation, when you get an error message saying that the
service couldn't be installed, followed by rollback.

The solution could be to try and detect any existing services with the
same ID and refuse to go to the next step if one already exists.

Regards,
Aleksander