langauges, locales, regex, LIKE

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: langauges, locales, regex, LIKE
Date: 2004-06-24 05:26:10
Lists: pgsql-general

If I've read everything right, in order to get:

multiple languages on a site

with the functionality of ALL of:

REGEX
LIKE
Correctly sorted text

A site would have to:

create a cluster for every language needed
run a separate database instance for every language
and have the database instances each have their own port
and use 8 bit encoding for that specific language

because:

Sorting is fixed at cluster/directory creation per single
database instance
And LIKE only works on C Locale with an eight bit encoding
and sorting (MAYBE?) works only on 8 bit encoding
when using C Locale.

If anyone can correct me on this, I'd love to hear it.

Boy, the old LOCALE system has really got to go someday.