Re: weired behavior... after pg_resetxlog-> dump->initdb-->reload.

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: weired behavior... after pg_resetxlog-> dump->initdb-->reload.
Date: 2004-06-18 05:16:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:

>Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com> writes:
>

>>Yep the problem of original posting could be replicated on
>>disabling hash aggregates. On disabling i could get the repeated rows.
>>

>Okay. What I suspect is happening is that there are entries in the
>column that are equal according to the datatype's comparison function,
>but are not bitwise equal and therefore yield different hash codes.
>This makes it a crapshoot whether they are seen to be equal or not
>when hash aggregation is used. We identified a similar bug in the
>inet/cidr datatypes just a few weeks ago.
>
>What exactly is the datatype of the "name" column?

name | character varying(120) | not null

> If it's a text
>type, what database encoding and locale settings (LC_COLLATE/LC_CTYPE)
>are you using?

List of databases
+-----------------+----------+-----------+
| Name | Owner | Encoding |
+-----------------+----------+-----------+
| bric | postgres | UNICODE |

+--------------------------------+-----------------+
| name | setting |
+--------------------------------+-----------------+
| lc_collate | en_US.UTF-8 |
| lc_ctype | en_US.UTF-8 |
| lc_messages | en_US.iso885915 |
| lc_monetary | en_US.iso885915 |
| lc_numeric | en_US.iso885915 |
| lc_time | en_US.iso885915 |

> Can you investigate exactly what's stored within each
>of these groups of matching names?

Can you tell me how to do it please?

> regards, tom lane

Regds