Re: Bug in RENAME TO?

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in RENAME TO?
Date: 2004-06-13 03:07:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As an example of why superusers should have as few restrictions as
> possible, I refer you to the 7.4.2 release notes:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html#RELEASE-7-4-2
> Without the ability for superusers to muck with the system catalogs,
> we'd have had no choice but to force initdb for 7.4.2 to fix those
> errors.

My point being that the 7.4 release stuff is done via the catupd flag,
not via standard SQL commands. Seems to me that you should be protected
from shooting yourself in the foot so long as you work through the
standard SQL commands...surely?

The other thing of course is that any renames or owner changes they make
to system objects will not be propogated at pg_dump time.

Chris