Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] The pgreplication project

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [GENERAL] The pgreplication project
Date: 2004-06-08 14:22:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On 6/8/2004 9:58 AM, darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com wrote:

>> I guess I have to address a slightly broader audience, or do I conclude
>> from the total lack of interest in this matter that nobody cares if we
>> promote something here as one of our "top five" flagship projects, that
>> is inactive for years and still a prototype implementation against
>> PostgreSQL 6.4 with no ideas how to incorporate the semantic changes of
>> MVCC into the concept.
>

> Jan,
>
> Perhaps you should contact the project admin or at least
> posting to the project mailing list, before assuming the
> project is dead. Admittedly there has been several
> delays and periods of inactivity, but declaring a
> project dead without investigating is quite
> inappropriate.

I apologize and admit that it should have been posted to the project
mailing list.

> I agree the project should not be in the top 5 on
> gborg, but it is not dead! There is a 7.2 port
> of the original 6.4 prototype, along with failover
> and recovery patches. There is a plan to produce
> a full mulit-master replication solution, but I don't
> currently have the time to commit to the project. If
> there is interest in this type of solution, I'd be
> happy to assist in the development.

Do those plans include fixing the problems arising from the complete
reversal of lock priorities with aborting previous lock holders? I have
stated before and do it again that this part of the Postgres-R logic is
assuming a more or less lock conflict free application design, which is
in practice seldom (if ever) found.

> I've known you for a while, and have a great
> deal of respect for you, but I would have
> expected some kind of communication with me
> before this.

I fully return the same respect to you. I was not aware that you are
still feeling "in charge" of this project.

Sincerely,
Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #