Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to
Date: 2004-05-12 15:55:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Good to see something along this line. Couple of comments:
>>
>> 1) I would not suggest copying the LIB directory to the windows
>> directory. That is just evil :-) Instead, add the pg lib directory to
>> the system PATH.
>>

> I agree that putting stuff in the Windows directory is evil.
>
> Having to use 2 path elements is a bit ugly too, though. My solution
> has been to move libpq.dll to the bin directory, which makes it work
> just fine for me without any PATH adjustment. It should actually load
> binaries slightly faster, too, since the binary location is the very
> first place Windows looks for DLLs, as I understand it.
>
> I'm not sure what else is loaded automatically at runtime (i.e. not
> with dlopen/LoadLibrary). Nothing obvious that I can see.

When working with the win32 builds and shipping them to friends, I wound
up locating all of the DLLs (even from contrib) into the location of the
postmaster executable. *I can hear the groans about this now* But,
this allowed even the contrib modules (the ones that I could get to
build) to work without any problems. I had learned about moving DLLs to
their host directories when different versions of DLLs would be
overwritten by install programs with win95.

I don't know what the packaging issues are, but this seems to be a
workable way to get around the need to alter the path and allow
different versions of postmaster or psql to coexist on the same machine.