Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Novice Guide to Windows Compile How to
Date: 2004-05-12 15:26:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Good to see something along this line. Couple of comments:
>
>1) I would not suggest copying the LIB directory to the windows
>directory. That is just evil :-) Instead, add the pg lib directory to
>the system PATH.

I agree that putting stuff in the Windows directory is evil.

Having to use 2 path elements is a bit ugly too, though. My solution has
been to move libpq.dll to the bin directory, which makes it work just
fine for me without any PATH adjustment. It should actually load
binaries slightly faster, too, since the binary location is the very
first place Windows looks for DLLs, as I understand it.

I'm not sure what else is loaded automatically at runtime (i.e. not with
dlopen/LoadLibrary). Nothing obvious that I can see.

cheers

andrew