Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-01 07:03:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> Personally, I think there are alot of large features that ppl have been
>> hard at getting complete in time for June 1st that we should stick to it,
>> else we're going to end up with 'yet another release' delayed in hopes
>> that the outstanding bugs in Win32 will get fixed in a reasonable amount
>> of time ...
>>
>> June 1st, let's do beta for 7.5 and then branch onto 8.0, with 8.0 key'd
>> to the Win32 Native port being finished ...
>>
>> If that means 8.0 happens to be September 1st, so be it ...
>>

> Bruce agreed that this had been vague before today, so if people have
> had this date in mind and have been working to it, perhaps they have
> some telepathic abilities I lack ...
>
> We missed on PITR *and* Win32 last year. ISTM there's a bit of a
> credibility issue at stake, so it might well be worth taking a couple of
> weeks leeway if that's what is required.
>
> The other point, especially about Win32, is to see if we can spread the
> load a bit. Perhaps Claudio, Magnus, Merlin and Bruce should start
> trying to farm out specific tasks. I for one will be very upset if it
> misses this release.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

This is exactly the point ...
If you go to a conference you will ALWAYS face the same questions:

- when can we have sync. replication and failover
- when can we have PITR
- when can we have win32

People won't believe us anymore if you keep telling them "in the next
release".
If a feature freeze is made on August 1st or even later it would be ok
because nobody is doing major database changes in summer anyway.
Currently I cannot see a major reason why people should upgrade to 7.5
(ARC and so forth are great but they are no killer features). Maybe in
this case it is worth waiting for 2 major features to make it into the
release (let's say PITR + nested transactions or win32 and pitr or 2pc
and nested transactions). This would point out that significant progress
is made.

Regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria