Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding case folding

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bringing PostgreSQL torwards the standard regarding case folding
Date: 2004-04-26 21:33:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Shachar,
>

>>I think the concensus was that the runtime part was aprox. four lines
>>where the case folding currently takes place. Obviously, you would have
>>to get a var, and propogate that var to that place, but not actually
>>change program flow.
>>

>That's only if you ignore the system catalogs entirely, which maybe you're
>prepared to do. If you want to change case folding for the system catalogs,
>though, you'll need to update code in thousands of places, becuase the
>back-end code is expecting lower-case identifiers ....

IF you want per session setting, yes.

If you want per database setting, you only need to worry about the
shared catalogs

If you want server wide setting, you just create the catalogs with the
correct name, and get it over with.

That's why I said that per-session setting seems like too much trouble.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting