Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Phase 2 - Design Planning
Date: 2004-04-26 22:01:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:05:41PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Transaction log files currently have timestamps, so that is
> > straightforward, but probably not the best we can do. We would
> > rollforward until the xlog file time > desired point in time.
>
> I was thinking --- how would someone know the time to use for restore?

I think there should be a way to get a TransactionId and restore up to
that point. It'd be cool, but not required, if the system showed what
valid TransactionIds there are, and roughly what they did (the xlog
code already has "describers" everywhere AFAICS).

"El realista sabe lo que quiere; el idealista quiere lo que sabe" (Anónimo)