Re: Installation Postgresql

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Stephen Salbod <ssalbod(at)pace(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installation Postgresql
Date: 2004-04-26 15:01:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Stephen Salbod wrote:
> My background is Windows and I just switched, yesterday to, Suse Linux
> Professional 9.0. And I have a class project due Monday, which is on why
> select postgresql as your DBMS. I am trying to install postgresql and
> going nuts. I installed the postgresql package on to my machine. I am
> following the short version installation instructions, but I got stuck
> at the first step: ./configure . I've looked for it on my system but to
> no avail. I just want to get postgresql up and running. Every book I
> turn to has this configure file. I know it is my window background that
> is messing me up--I can't think Linux right now. I would appreciate if
> someone can give me hand so I can have a good experience installing
> postgresql .

The configure script is part of the Posgresql distribution.

When you unpack the archive, and cd to the directory created, configure is
in that directory. Thus there are two factors that are required in order
for configure to run:
1) The directory must be your current working directory
2) You must use "./configure" to explicitly tell your shell to look in
the current directory for the file.

I'm guessing #1 is where you're having trouble. Just do
"cd <directory created by unpacking the download>" prior to "./configure"

If you're using these instructions:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/installation.html
Then that's probably what you're missing.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies