Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do we prefer software that works or software that looks good?
Date: 2004-04-24 13:21:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Robert Treat wrote:

>IMHO apps that apply quoted identifiers willy nilly are busted anyway,

Not really. Sometimes the app itself will be very consistent, never
applying quotes, but an underlying driver will always apply quotes. The
result is a mixed behaviour. There is nothing you or me can do about
that. Notice that in the above case, neither app nor driver are
violating their mandate, and both are well within their right to do so.

So long as the behaviour is regulated by a standard, there is nothing
you and I can say against such practices.

>Oh well... let's see if we can find a way to support both...

You are welcome to join the other leg of this thread, then. That one is
not CCed to advocacy, as it is 100% technical.

>Robert Treat

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh