Re: Press Release Party

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release Party
Date: 2004-04-24 14:33:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > discuss it. Maybe this press release is that a company wants to
> > sponsor a particular feature, but then after the press release it
> > turns out that 9 out of 10 developers think the feature is stupid?
> > How does that make us look?
>
> Who cares? If the resultant patch isn't considered acceptable by the
> community, it just won't get applied *shrug*

I think the general public would care if we make press releases about
features that don't end up happening. Plus, this could become a very
popular method for companies to get free advertisement: claim you will
sponsor X, get someone to make a PostgreSQL press release about it, and
later, well, the X gets kind of lost somewhere.